A Surgical Technologist is a Healthcare professional that has advanced knowledge and skills pertaining to sterile and aseptic techniques. Their main priority is to try to anticipate the which tool(s) the surgeon is going to need next in order to make the procedure go as smoothly as possible.
In addition, they perform basic tasks such as checking patients’ medical charts and consent forms, preparing sterile dressings, and closing incisions.?
Surgical Technicians tend to work in hospital delivery and/or operating rooms under the supervision of a surgeon, registered nurse (RN), or other surgical staff.
Their main duty is to maximize the patient?s safety by ensuring that equipment is sterilized and functioning properly. They handle instruments, tools, scrubs, antiseptics, medications, as well as various other supplies and equipment that may be necessary during surgical procedures., Such as:
Appropriate handling of the instruments, supplies, and equipment necessary during surgical procedure.
Obtain an understanding of the procedure being performed and anticipates the needs of the surgeon.
Knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure by properly performing the following duties, including but not limited to:
1. Checks supplies and equipment needed for surgical procedure
2. Scrubs, gowns, and gloves
3. Sets up sterile table with instruments, supplies, equipment, and
medications/solutions needed for procedure
4. Performs appropriate counts with circulator prior to the operation and before
incision is closed
5. Gowns and gloves surgeon and assistants
6. Helps in draping sterile field
7. Passes instruments, etc., to surgeon during procedure
8. Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during procedure
9. Prepares sterile dressings
10. Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization
11. Assists other members of team with terminal cleaning of room
12. Assists in prepping room for the next patient
Frequently Asked Questions
Q:?Why would anyone choose to go to a traditional schooling program, when yours has so many great?benefits and advantagesover the others?
A:?Because our programs are not for everyone. Students must meet special?qualification guidelines?to take our programs, which not everyone is able to meet. The other reason is that many people who would qualify, do not know that there is an alternative to the traditional college and university vocational programs because it is not something that most schools know and are willing to admit.
Q:?What is the difference between the certifications and credentials earned through your programs versus those earned after completing a traditional vocational college/university program?
A:?There is no difference between the certifications. It?s not the certification and credentials that is different, it is the method taken to earn those certifications/credentials that is different. Traditional schooling is one way, and meeting ourqualification guidelines?and completing one of our programs is another. They are just two different paths that end at the same destination. Not everyone qualifies for this path, whereas anyone could qualify for the other.